Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mid Ski Season Update

Like or Share this post.

It has been a while since I've posted.  Things have been really busy lately, but I thought I would post a quick update.  Life as a father is absolutely incredible.  Kelly and I are well and we love our little girl.  Next month my precious Marilyn turns 6 months old and you better believe I'll be posting tons of pictures on here!  In the mean time, a little skiing update will have to do.

We're having a good ski season in Colorado so far.  I've been doing a lot of work and coaching with a great group of kids on the Unviersity of Colorado Freestyle Ski Team.  Despite complications with the team (that's a story for another time) all the kids seem to really be enjoying their experience and learning a lot.  I truly love sharing something I'm passionate about with these kids and I've developed some relationships with them that allow me to be a positive influence (I hope!) in their lives through more than just skiing.  That's the real goal, skiing is just the vehicle to get there.

Along with coaching, I'm planning a trip to climb and ski Denali in June.  Getting up in elevation around here and exercising has been a great way to start getting my lungs in shape.  I'm feeling significantly stronger at altitude.  Later I'll be doing a whole series of posts on my Denali plans and preparation.  This January, while on a several-week stint in Parachute, CO doing seismic mountain access with GMS (a job I had to take due to the aforementioned ski team complications) I met some really great mountain guides.  Many of them guide on Denali in the summers.  They gave me great advice and helped me understand what it will take to make the expedition successful.  It's pretty exciting and will be the realization of a life-long goal if it works out.  (A HUGE thanks to my sponsors Helly Hansen, Folsom Skis and Scarpa for helping with the trip.)

For now, I hope you enjoy these few short videos from the last few weeks.



Fat to Flat 2/11/14
from Joel Bettner on Vimeo.



One Run 2/7/14
from Joel Bettner on Vimeo.



Two Mornings (1/31/14 & 2/1/14)
from Joel Bettner on Vimeo.


I figured I'd throw in a little speed flying video from January here, too.  Why not?

Wonderland Flight - Unedited - Jan 22, 2014
from Joel Bettner on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment