Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Maine - A Natural Change of Scene

Like or Share this post.

*Whatever I write or have written can not do the experience justice.  The video and pictures below can not do the experience justice.  It is my best attempt.*



Summer adventure.  

I ate when I was hungry.  I drank when I was dry.  I made fire when I was cold.  I took my shirt off when I was hot.  I slept under the stars.  I woke with the sun and slept with the moon.  I walked where I wanted to go.   I listened to the songs of loons sing on a glassy mountain lake.  I spent entire days in nothing but a pair of shorts jumping in and out of rivers and lakes.  I felt the power of raw masculinity and testosterone coursing through my 27 year old veins.  I felt the peace and solitude in undisturbed wilderness as first light stretched its fingers through a forrest canopy.  

I communicated with my primal-self, my spiritual-self and my intillecutal-self.  I deepened relationships with friends, family and loved ones.

All of these things I experienced in Maine.  

It was a change of scene from my regular winter-style adventures, and I welcomed it.  It is wonderful to spend time in and around water and feel the shade and coolness of a hardwood forest.

It seems like every summer for the past several years I have had these life altering trips during which I really get to spend time "away from it all."  I hope to eventually live life "away from it all."




Take a look at most of the pictures from the adventures here.  

See some of the highlights below.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


If you find yourself Down East on Mount Desert Island, go to the Captains Galley for Lobstah'.  You won't regret it, and your wallet will be happy as well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The tradition continues...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


On our wedding anniversary we stayed in a chalet on the shores of Lake Millinocket.  If you've got the opportunity and want to splurge a little bit for a night, I recommend the Twin Pines "cabins."
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


New England Outdoor Center (NEOC) did a fantastic job of showing us a great day on the Penobscot.  Our river guide (Diesel) kept it fun for everyone.  During the first half of the trip we had a family in our boat, but still managed some really good surfing.  During the second half of the trip (with a bunch of class IV and V whitewater) it was just a small group of 4 paddlers.  Because we were willing and able, we got to surf the Lower Chute of Cribworks (Class V).  It was something that the other guides said they had never seen done before, so I was pretty excited to get the chance.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Class V surfing...
Photobucket

Photobucket


Stay tuned for more videos of the rafting trip in nearly its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment